This easy Crockpot Breakfast Casserole is full of Southwestern flavor! Imagine the delicious aroma of eggs, sausage, and hashbrowns!
I don’t know about you but I love using my slow cooker and crockpot. So much so, I actually own three of them.
There are many times where I have all three going at once. One for the entrée, one for the side, and one for dessert. I don’t do that a lot but when I do, it’s quite a lovely experience!
The types of food that you can make in a crockpot are endless. You can make casseroles, appetizers, dips, sauces, soup. I think my favorite thing about using a slow cooker is that you prep it in the morning and by evening, dinner is ready! Well, that is as long as you remember to either plug it in or turn it on. I’m sure none of you have done that though. Me? I’ve done it more than I care to remember.
Have you tried to make a Breakfast casserole in your crockpot before? If you haven’t, you really should! It’s done in about four hours. Even if you are craving breakfast for dinner, this will work great!
Before you get started prepping this recipe, here are a few suggestions and tips.
DO I HAVE TO USE SAUSAGE? COULD I USE HAM OR BACON INSTEAD?
Absolutely! Feel free to use whatever protein you would like.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CROCKPOT AND A SLOW COOKER?
The difference is in the pot.
A slow cooker has a metal pot that sits on top of the heated surface. A Crockpot is literally that. A pot that is stone pot that is surrounded by the heating element.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE THIS SOUTHWESTERN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE?
Sausage, Hash browns, Cumin, Garlic powder, Red pepper, Eggs, Chipotle powder, Sharp cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese.
- 16 oz. mild bulk sausage (no casings)
- 1 20-oz. bag hash browns, shredded
- ½ t. ground cumin
- ½ t. garlic powder
- 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- ½ c. water
- ¼ t. chipotle powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 c. Monterey Jack (or other mild white) cheese, finely shredded
- Spray a 6-quart or larger slow cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray (or grease with melted butter or coconut oil).
- Cook sausage in a large skillet until nicely browned, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess grease from the skillet. Set aside.
- Spread hash browns in an even layer across the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Add the browned sausage and sprinkle the ground cumin and garlic powder on top.
- Add the chopped red pepper and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Whisk the eggs and water together in a large bowl and pour evenly across the top of the other ingredients before topping with the shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Serve immediately.
- Top with green onion, red pepper, fresh cilantro, and/or additional shredded cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Chopped green onions, red pepper, fresh cilantro, and/or additional shredded cheese
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 284mgSodium: 1331mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 25g